Sunday 18 October 2015

Hands On Evaluation

This is my evaluation for the 'Hands On' project.

I have experimented with media to explore the characteristics of a wide range of visual language by creating approximately 20 glossary pages for the elements and principles of design and workshop keywords. As an example when given the word colour, I thought of using warm and cold colours as an idea for the page. Therefore I painted symmetrical hands of which one features warm colours and the other cold colours.

When making my glossary, I found the experience challenging when thinking of ideas to fit into the criteria for that particular element, principle or keyword. For example I struggled thinking of an idea for texture, but then searched through my workshop outcomes and chose a piece to build on and develop. However in parts, rewarding since I gained a detailed and greater understanding of visual language; I think that this will also help me throughout the course and with other projects.

I do think that learning about terminology and producing a glossary page has improved my English skills as I now have a more in-depth understanding of the phrases used when using visual language.

Throughout the project, produced a range of research to support my ideas and thoughts. Firstly, I took my own primary photographs as a support for my observational drawing that I produced. As examples:


 
 
 
Secondly I also produced a Pinterest board(https://www.pinterest.com/rachelbamforth/h-a-n-d-s/), in which I captured many secondary sourced pictures that either inspired me to work in the style of the work and recreate it, or which I found that artist of which created it, and produced an artist study on them. I created 3 artist studies, all of which the artists have influenced me to create art similar to theirs. For example one of the studies I produced was on Iris Scott, she creates her painting with her only tool being her hands. This amazed me by how something so detailed, was produced only by hands. My research has been very useful in supporting my practical work since the majority of the pieces I produced were thought of from a picture. However I found the primary research that I created, more useful since I could control how the photographs were taken and how the audience would perceive them. If I were to improve any of my research skills or methods, I would have used a wider range of  medias, to produce the secondary and primary photos since then I would have experimented with different media and known what not to use in the future and which worked best.
 
Throughout the workshops that I have taken part in, I have learnt various techniques. One that I can remember in detail is Batik. Batik is a process where using a Tjanting tool which holds the melted hot wax, you draw onto the paper in patterns as the wax goes through the spout on the tool. After when dry, this can be worked back into using watered down brusho paints to add colour and add additional designs. Then after the brusho has dried you can iron the paper in between many other sheets of newspaper(making sure not to ruin the iron with the wax) to melt the wax from the page to leave white marks from where the wax was earlier applied.

 
Another process that I learnt was monoprinting. This is achieved when using a brayer to roll out printing ink then scratching out the drawing into the ink with the end of a paint bush. You then place the piece of paper over the top of the ink and, with a clean brayer, roll over the top of the paper to press it into the ink to assure that the ink prints onto the paper. After making sure that the brayer has rolled over all the paper, then take the paper away from the ink.

 
 
I think that the outcomes of my workshops could have turned out better as, in the majority of the workshops, it was my first time using the resources; I think that if I were to produce the outcomes again, then it may be more successful or the mistakes that were made the first time would not be made the second. For example, in the ceramics workshop I produced a hand. This process was challenging since I had never used the materials before. I faced many problems such as the fingers not being supported which resulted in them falling off.

I think that my overall portfolio is effective because I included various primary and secondary sources and also added further developments onto them. My portfolio also includes many glossary pages that are visual representations of the principles and elements of design. If I were to improve my portfolio, I would defiantly include all twenty glossary pages which I did not have the time to complete. I would also use a range of different media other than paint and pencil.
 
My definition of creativity is taking a concept, whether it be worded or just an imaginative idea, and transforming it into an artistic form. Throughout the project I have learnt that  the inspiration for creativity can come from any form; from other artist's work to looking at our own hands. I think I have improved my creativity skills by working with visual language and transforming a word into a picture.
 
I have found working independently easier than it would be working collectively as a group since it would be hard to get my ideas for the project across as it is sometimes difficult to show ideas if they are not in an artistic form.
 
I could have definitely managed my time better with this project since by the end of it, I didn't have time to complete all the twenty glossary pages.
 
I think I have produced the work to my best ability; although I think that some of my work is at a better standard than the rest. This may be because I donated a lot of my time to that one piece when it should have been spread across evenly; this will be something I will work on during the next project.
 
Overall the whole project, I have mostly enjoyed the sketchbook work since I could research other artist's work and work in their styles. I have also enjoyed working through the workshops because this allowed me to try out different medias and to stem into other directions of art and design and not just focus on painting or drawing.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment