Tuesday 13 October 2015

3D Designs Workshop

In the 3D workshop, we first were introduced to the healthy safety rules of the workshop.
These were:
  • Use cutting mats or boards not desk tops.
  • For straight lines, use safety rulers.
  • Keep the hand, which isn't holding the blade, behind the cutting blade at all times.
  • Never cut towards your body.
  • Don't press on too hard as this could damage equipment or cause you to lose control of the blade, causing accidents.
  • Be aware that you are around others.
We were then introduced to a 'Shape-scape', this is a bunch of shapes which slot together to create an abstract sculpture. After this we were given our own shapes to create our own shapes-scape with. When asked what I thought it resembled, I said a shark; since the front triangle looks like a sharks head and the back shape looks like a tail.









Then we were given a cutting mat, scalpel and some cardboard, we got to work on our individual shape-scapes. After thinking about what the simplest option would be, I decided on a flower. I then set about creating the shapes was going to use; I first cut out a basic circle as the middle of the flower. After cutting the first petal from the cardboard, I lined it up to the circle to see how many petals I would need to fit around the flower to make it look complete; to make the cutting process easier, I drew around the first petal 8 times(since that was the amount of petals needed) to make sure that they were identical.

Since it was pointed out to me that when I would attempt to slot the petals into the circle, they would be pointing in the wrong direction. To solve this, I cut out little 4cm by 1cm rectangles to connect the petals in the right direction.




I then started decorating the flower with a colourful design.
We were then told to develop a sculpture using shaped, slotted cardboard shape-scapes to create an abstract sculpture to represent hands. As a starting point, I used the back of the hand since I thought it was a easier piece to then build onto. I cut long vertical slots out of the first piece for the knuckles to slot onto.




I then started to build on this by created more slots and adding more cardboard to create fingers. Although when it came to making the back more 3D like, it was difficult to fix another piece of cardboard onto it; therefore I bent a piece of cardboard around, to fit onto the whole back of the then cut slots into it so it would connect to the slots on the side. Although when it was completed, I did find that it resembled a turtle rather than a hand, this is something I would change if I were to do this again.

Keywords:
  • Shape-scape
  • Cutting mat
  • Abstract
  • Slotted cardboard
  • Scalpel
  • Craft knife
  • Slot puncher

 

No comments:

Post a Comment