Wednesday 2 December 2015

Transcribing Caro Evaluation

This is my evaluation for the 'Transcribing Caro' project.

I found the primary research that I collected on the trip to the YSP and the Hepworth Gallery extremely valuable as the photographs were the base of my project. I found observing the sculpture in life rather than in a picture a lot simpler since in life it is easier to see the structure, shape, and the realistic size of the sculpture.



I am happy with the primary research that I collected from the trip however I do regret not taking photos of the sculptures from various different angles as I think these would have made interesting pages in my sketchbook and I would have liked to develop them further. I did, however, do this with one particular sculpture. This was Caro's 'Childs Tower Room' sculpture, I produced a double spread studying this particular sculpture.
 
I think my research is very effective as the artists that I have researched have massively influenced my final sculpture. For example, my sculpture includes solid bright colours which is inspiration from Caro's pieces.
I have planned my sculpture by firstly designing three sculptures, then further developing my favourite one. I chose the final design as I think that it would be more interesting to produce and I could include many influences into it; whereas if I created a wall mounted sculpture of mobile sculpture, there isn't many influences that I could involve in that.
 
When making my maquette, I found the building stage beneficial to building my sculpture as I could tell which parts I may need to change or remove.
To date, I haven't had any problems in the production of my sculpture however in the ceramics workshop I decided to create the Perspex pieces, that would attach into the ceramic pole, after as this would be an easier way rather than making slits into the clay trying to achieve a perfect size.
I think I could have managed my time better throughout this project as at the deadline I had a few sketchbook pages to do. I took spent a lot of time on certain pieces rather than spacing my time out over all the project.
 
When constructing my final sculpture, a difficulty I had was that the ceramic post wouldn't be able to stand by itself on the stand. As a result of this I drilled a piece of wood to the base then glued the ceramic post to the base and wood with No Nails.
 
I found it fairly easy to assemble my sculpture as most of the pieces fit together easily.
 
I am satisfied with my final outcome as I would change a lot of it. I would change the overall layout and create a wall mounted sculpture as I think they would be more interesting to produce. I would also change the colours to more subtle ones.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment